I’m back again, with a review of The Big Bang Theory, an American TV series created by Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady. There are 12 seasons in total (12th season is planned to be aired in 2018), with 17 episodes on Season 1, 23 episodes on Season 2 and 3, and 24 episodes on each of the next ones.
The Big Bang Theory is centered on 5 main characters living in Pasadena, California. I’ll tell you each of them, from the character I love the most to the least. Let’s start!
- Sheldon Cooper (portrayed by Jim Parsons); a senior theoretical physicist at Caltech, a genius, naive, science maniac (like totally, in every aspect of life), blind of sarcasm, lack of common sense, childish, stubborn, comic lover (I think comic-ism is his religion, other than science-ism), wear comic/superhero T-shirt in daily basis.
- Penny (portrayed by Kaley Cuoco); a waitress at CheeseCake Factory, a ‘common’ girl, not so bright intellectually, good social skill. Despite of her huge difference with the boys group, she manages to stick around.
- Leonard Hofstadter (portrayed by Johnny Galecki); an experimental physicist at Caltech, the most ‘normal’ guy in the geek group.
- Rajesh Koothrappali (portrayed by Kunal Nayyar); an astrophysicist at Caltech, a guy who could never talk to women (goes absolutely silent) when not under alcohol influence, a bit delusional and cocky sometimes.
- Howard Wolowitz (portrayed by Simon Helberg); an aerospace engineer at Caltech, lives with his mom, a desperate womanizer-wannabe, the most geeky-dressed guy in the group, belt-buckle collector.
Sheldon and Leonard live at the same apartment. Penny is their new neighbor on the 1st episode. Raj and Howard are friends with Leonard, which make the 4 geeks hang out together for years (Leonard is absolutely the glue in this friendship), sharing common interests on comic book, science, science fiction movie, and games.
Some supporting characters pop up afterwards, I’ll sum up shortly. Hang on!
- Amy Farrah Fowler (portrayed by Mayim Bialik, firstly appeared on Season 3); a neuroscientist, smart, lack of common sense, a perfect match of Sheldon.
- Leslie Winkle (portrayed by Sara Gilbert, firstly appeared on Season 1); an experimental physicist, smart, kinda cold-hearted, violin player, dated Leonard and Howard.
- Beverly Hofstadter (portrayed by Christine Baranski, firstly appeared on Season 2); an analytical neuroscientist, psychiatrist, and author. She’s Leonard’s mom.
- Mary Cooper (portrayed by Laurie Metcalf; firstly appeared on Season 1); a church employee, Sheldon’s mom, a true believer. She’s the only one who can ‘control’ Sheldon.
- Bernadette Rostenkowski (portrayed by Melissa Rauch, firstly appeared on Season 3); a microbiologist, smart, cute, a bit naive (she couldn’t get jokes so often).
- Zack Johnson (portrayed by Brian Thomas Smith, firstly appeared on Season 3), a Vice President of Menu Designing Company – a family business, dated Penny, has low intelligence despite of the handsome face.
- Stuart Bloom (portrayed by Kevin Sussman, firstly appeared on Season 2); a comic book shop owner, have a secret crush on Penny.
- Emily Sweeney (portrayed by Laura Spencer, firstly appeared on Season 7); a dermatologist, have a creepy sense of humor, dated Raj.
Things to love about the series
- The science theme! There’s not much of it in the world of TV series, especially the comedy ones (another one I like is The IT Crowd).
- The unique characters and how they interact among each other.
- Each episode is 20-25 minutes long, so it’s good for a quick entertainment if you are not a chain-watcher and decent series marathon (8-10 hours per season) if you are a…freak (well, I do…).
- The theme song by Barenaked Ladies (Listen on Spotify) is both annoying and addictive.
My overall rate would be… 5 stars out of 5! You should watch it, for real, and then let me know whether you like it or not. 😉